Friday, February 20, 2026

Trump says he is considering limited military strike on Iran

WASHINGTON, United States 

US President Donald Trump has said he is considering a limited military strike on Iran in order to pressure its leaders to agree a deal to curb the nuclear programme.

Iran's Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi has said a proposal for an agreement with the US will be ready in days

The president made the remark in response to a question from a journalist hours after officials had suggested the possibility of a strike.

On Thursday, Trump said the world would find out "over the next, probably, 10 days" whether a deal would be reached or the US would take military action. The US has been increasing its military presence in the region in recent weeks.

The US and its European allies suspect that Iran is moving towards the development of a nuclear weapon, something Iran has always denied.

US and Iranian officials have met over the issue in Switzerland and said progress has been made in the talks.

Speaking on Friday, Iran's Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi said Iran was preparing "a draft of a possible agreement" and would hand it over to US Special Envoy Steve Witkoff in the next few days.

The talks in Geneva were held as American forces continued ramping up their presence in the vicinity of Iran.

The deployment includes the world's largest warship, USS Gerald R Ford, appearing to be heading towards the region.

USS Abraham Lincoln aircraft carrier is also being deployed, joining an increase of destroyers, combat ships and fighter jets.

Satellite images have also shown that Iran has reinforced military facilities, and the country's Supreme Leader, Ayatollah Ali Khamanei, has posted messages to social media threatening US forces.

"The US President constantly says that the US has sent a warship toward Iran. Of course, a warship is a dangerous piece of military hardware," one of Khamenei's posts read.

US Supreme Court strikes down Trump global tariffs

WASHINGTON, United States 

The United States Supreme Court on Friday ruled Donald Trump's sweeping global tariffs illegal -- a stunning rebuke of the president's signature economic policy that upended international trade.

The conservative-majority high court ruled six-three in the judgment, saying that a 1977 law known as the International Emergency Economic Powers Act (IEEPA) Trump has relied on "does not authorize the President to impose tariffs."

The ruling does not impact sector-specific duties Trump separately imposed on imports of steel, aluminum and various other goods. Several government probes which could lead to more sectoral tariffs remain in the works.

Still, this marks Trump's biggest defeat at the Supreme Court since returning to the White House last year.

While Trump has long relied on tariffs as a lever for diplomatic pressure and negotiations, he made unprecedented use of emergency economic powers in his second term to slap new duties on virtually all US trading partners.

These included "reciprocal" tariffs over trade practices that Washington deemed unfair, alongside separate sets of duties targeting major partners Mexico, Canada and China over illicit drug flows and immigration.

The court noted Friday that "had Congress intended to convey the distinct and extraordinary power to impose tariffs" with IEEPA, "it would have done so expressly, as it consistently has in other tariff statutes."

The Supreme Court's three liberal justices joined three conservatives in Friday's ruling, which upheld lower court decisions that tariffs Trump imposed under IEEPA were illegal.

Conservative Justices Brett Kavanaugh, Clarence Thomas and Samuel Alito dissented.

Chief Justice John Roberts, in delivering his opinion, said "IEEPA contains no reference to tariffs or duties."

A lower trade court ruled in May that Trump overstepped his authority with across-the-board levies and blocked most of them, but that outcome was put on hold as the government appealed.

With the White House already bracing for a negative outcome, KPMG chief economist Diane Swonk warned that "tariffs ruled illegal can be rapidly reinstated via other levers."

"Financial markets rallied on the news, but that is premature," she added.

Uganda's President meets Sudan RSF leader on peace talks

By Our Correspondent, ENTEBBE, Uganda 

Ugandan President Yoweri Museveni met with the leader of Sudan’s paramilitary Rapid Support Forces (RSF), Mohamed Hamdan Dagalo Friday, pushing for a political solution to end Sudan's nearly three-year-old civil war.

The meeting at State House Entebbe comes as the conflict, which began in April 2023, has reached a "horrific milestone" of over 1,000 days, displacing millions and triggering what United Nations officials describe as the world’s largest humanitarian crisis.

"I emphasized that dialogue and a peaceful political solution are the only sustainable paths to stability for Sudan and the region," Museveni said in a statement on social media platform X.

The talks follow Museveni's appointment by the African Union (AU) to lead a high-level committee aimed at facilitating direct negotiations between Dagalo, known as Hemedti, and Sudan’s army chief, General Abdel Fattah al-Burhan.

Despite these efforts, prospects for a ceasefire remain slim. On Thursday, Burhan reaffirmed his refusal to agree to a truce until the RSF withdraws from seized cities and military zones. 

Burhan also reiterated his rejection of mediation involving the United Arab Emirates, which the Sudanese army accuses of supporting the RSF—a claim the UAE has denied.

While diplomatic visits continue, fighting has intensified across Sudan, including North Darfur, Kordofan, and Blue Nile states. 

On Thursday, a drone attack attributed to the RSF and its allies killed at least three aid workers in South Kordofan, according to local medical networks.

The U.N. recently warned that the RSF’s siege and subsequent takeover of El Fasher in late 2025 bore the "hallmarks of genocide," citing targeted killings and systematic violence against non-Arab communities.

EAST AFRICA NEWSPAPERS 21/02/2026

 

















Moroccan court sentences 18 Senegalese fans to prison after AFCON final clashes

RABAT, Morocco 

A Moroccan court sentenced 19 soccer fans to up to one year in prison on Thursday for hooliganism following a chaotic Africa Cup of Nations final that saw supporters attempt to storm the field.

The ruling involved 18 Senegalese nationals and one French citizen convicted of charges including damaging sporting facilities and violence.

Eleven received one-year sentences with a $550 fine, four got six months with a $218 fine, and four were sentenced to three months with a $130 fine.

One defendant fainted upon hearing the verdict, while others refused to leave the defendants' bench. Lawyers plan to appeal, calling the sentences severe.

The defendants were arrested last month after protesting a late penalty awarded to host Morocco during the final, which Senegal won 1-0.

Supporters threw chairs onto the field and battled stewards, causing over $476,000 in damage. Senegalese players briefly walked off the pitch in protest.

The case prompted diplomatic intervention, with Senegalese and French diplomats attending the hearing.

Following the match, senior officials from both nations moved to protect bilateral relations, with Senegal's prime minister visiting Morocco to sign investment agreements.

Thursday, February 19, 2026

EAST AFRICA NEWSPAPERS 20/02/2026

 
















Uganda opposition leader's entire family fled Uganda

KAMPALA, Uganda 

Former Ugandan presidential candidate Robert Kyagulanyi Ssentamu says his family have fled Uganda. He has also spoken out against what he calls a “violent military dictatorship” in Uganda.

Kyagulanyi, who has been in “hiding” since January 15th, delivered a video message to the Geneva Summit for Human Rights and Democracy. His whereabouts were not confirmed.

He alleged that President Yoweri Museveni and the Chief of Defence Forces (CDF), General Muhoozi Kainerugaba, orchestrated widespread violence and election rigging. It was the second time that Kyagulanyi was addressing the Geneva Summit for Human Rights and Democracy.

The Geneva Summit for Human Rights and Democracy is an annual major conference that shines a spotlight on urgent human rights situations that require global attention.

It provides a platform for human rights activists and former political prisoners to testify about their personal struggles for democracy and freedom while building an international community to take on dictators.

This year’s summit, like the previous ones, is held around the main annual session of the United Nations Human Rights Council. 

Many Ugandans expected that the NUP leader would personally attend the conference, given the suspicion that he had fled the country immediately after the January presidential and parliamentary elections.

Uganda is a nation of 50 million people living under a violent military dictatorship for 40 years,” he charged.

It is the first time he has addressed the international community about the outcome of the recent presidential elections.

Kyagulanyi detailed the events of Uganda’s 2025 presidential campaign, describing arrests, abductions, and internet shutdowns.

He alleged that the election was so manipulated that even at the polling station where Museveni voted, he received more votes than the number of registered voters.

“The election was so rigged; even at Museveni’s polling station, he got more votes than registered voters.”

The NUP, however, did not petition the court to challenge the outcome of the election in which he emerged as the runner-up to President Museveni. Speaking about the human cost, Kyagulanyi revealed the impact on his family. He said his home was raided, his family members tortured, and his wife publicly humiliated.

“The military raided my home, tortured my family, humiliated my wife, and shared pictures on Twitter. My wife Barbie, and our children had to flee the country for fear of their lives.”

He stated that while he is in hiding, he doesn’t want to be in hiding. “It was necessary, though, so that I could stay alive. And be able to speak to you right now.”

Kyagulanyi urged the international community to impose sanctions and not recognize Museveni’s government.

He stressed that Ugandans are committed to non-violent resistance. Ugandans are not seeking pity. We want the world to sanction Museveni, his son, and all human rights violators,” he said.

“Oppressed people cannot stay oppressed forever. With your help, we can liberate Uganda before it is too late.”

Kyagulanyi’s message comes as international observers continue to scrutinize Uganda’s elections and human rights record.

The former presidential candidate says he remains in hiding for his safety but vows to return when the time is right. He committed to non-violent means to end President Museveni’s reign in Uganda.

651 arrested in Africa-wide crackdown on online scam networks

ABUJA, Nigeria 

Police across 16 African countries have arrested more than 650 suspected cybercriminals and recovered over 4.3 million US dollars in a major international crackdown on online scams.

The operation, led by INTERPOL and known as Operation Red Card 2.0, ran from December 2025 to the end of January 2026. 

It targeted criminal networks behind online investment fraud, mobile money scams and fake loan applications that have affected thousands of victims both in Africa and beyond.

Investigators say the schemes are linked to more than 45 million dollars in global financial losses. 

During the eight-week operation, authorities identified at least 1,247 victims and seized over 2,300 electronic devices used to carry out the scams. 

More than 1,400 malicious websites, servers and internet addresses were also shut down.

Several arrests were made in connection with high-yield investment scams that tricked victims into putting money into fake opportunities using social media platforms and messaging apps.

In many cases, fraudsters used fabricated testimonials and false account dashboards to convince victims their investments were growing, before blocking any attempts to withdraw funds.

In Côte d’Ivoire, police dismantled a mobile loan fraud network that targeted vulnerable users through deceptive apps offering quick loans. 

Victims were often charged hidden fees or subjected to harassment, while their personal and financial data was illegally collected.

Authorities in Nigeria also arrested members of a cybercrime group accused of gaining access to a major telecom company’s internal system using stolen staff login details. 

The suspects allegedly siphoned off airtime and data bundles which were then resold for profit.

INTERPOL officials say the operation highlights the growing scale of organised cybercrime and the need for stronger international cooperation to tackle fraud networks that operate across borders. 

Investigations are ongoing in several countries involved in the operation.