DAR-ES-SALAAM, Tanzania
Next year’s Africa Cup of Nations could be postponed until 2028 owing to doubts over the readiness of Kenya, Tanzania and Uganda to host the tournament, in a move that would lead the Confederation of African Football to scrap one edition of its showpiece competition.
Construction of Samia Hassan stadium, Arusha
Our Correspondent understands that Caf’s executive committee will discuss the proposal when it meets in Dar es Salaam this Friday, with Morocco’s expected withdrawal as hosts for next month’s Women’s Afcon also high on the agenda.
In December the Caf president, Patrice Motsepe, announced Afcon would be staged every four years instead every two from 2028, and said the 2027 tournament would take place in Kenya, Tanzania and Uganda, with the 2029 edition brought forward to 2028.
Despite rumoured interest from South Africa and Botswana in jointly hosting that 2028 tournament, there is growing expectation that the 2027 edition will be pushed back 12 months.
According to several sources in the ExCo, there are major concerns over the infrastructure in Kenya, Tanzania and Uganda and their ability to cope with a 24-team tournament due to be spread over 10 cities.
The 2027 Africa Cup of Nations finals are scheduled to take place from 19 May to 18 July 2027.
It will be held at 10 venues, namely Benjamin Mkapa Stadium, Samia Hassan Stadium - Arusha, Dodoma Stadium and Amaan Stadium in Tanzania.
Talanta Stadium, Moi International Sports Centre, Nyayo National Stadium, Bukhungu Stadium and Kipchoge Keino Stadium in Kenya.
In Uganda, it will be held at Hoima City Stadium, Akii Bua Stadium and Mandela National Stadium
Last August there were challenges including ticketing and security measures around the stadiums in Kenya, Tanzania and Uganda that hosted the Africa Nations Championships (Chan) for domestic-based players.
There are also understood to be issues with finding time in the international calendar to complete the qualification given the potential involvement of 10 African teams at this summer’s World Cup. Caf did not comment on any of the claims.
Any postponement would mean scrapping the tournament scheduled for 2028, for which Ethiopia had signalled its intention to rival a South Africa-Botswana bid.
That would allow Caf to introduce its plan for a first African Nations League to take place in 2029. It wants that to replace the biennial Afcon and Chan as its chief source of income.
Last month Motsepe insisted that the 2027 tournament would go ahead.
“I have a duty to develop football all over Africa,” he said. “I can’t have competitions only in those four countries where you’ve got the infrastructure. You’ve got to create opportunities for the other countries to build infrastructure as well. I’m confident that the Afcon in Tanzania, Kenya and Uganda will be enormously successful.”
There is confusion over the Women’s Afcon due to start on 17 March after South Africa said it was ready to step in if required after Morocco apparently indicated it could no longer stage the tournament.
Neither the Moroccan football federation nor Caf has confirmed that the tournament will be moved, with a decision expected at Friday’s ExCo meeting.
It is understood at least one member of the ExCo will raise questions about why Caf’s general secretary, Véron Mosengo-Omba, is still in his post despite reaching the statutory retirement age under Caf’s regulations.
No comments:
Post a Comment