Wednesday, February 18, 2026

South Sudan President signs cybercrime, audit and wildlife bills into law

JUBA, South Sudan 

South Sudan’s President Salva Kiir has signed into law three bills, including the Cybercrime and Computer Misuse Act 2026, state media reported Wednesday.

The other laws assented to are the Southern Sudan Audit Chamber (Amendment) Act 2026 and the Wildlife Conservation and Protected Areas Act 2026.

In November 2025, the Transitional National Legislative Assembly passed the cybercrime legislation with amendments.

The government says the law is intended to address online crimes and curb harmful content on social media, including hate speech.

The act criminalizes offenses such as unauthorized data transmission, hacking, espionage, cyberterrorism and economic sabotage. 

It also outlaws the creation of fake websites and social media accounts, the publication of false information and indecent content, online impersonation and gender-based harassment.

Under the legislation, minor offenses are punishable by up to two years in prison or a fine of up to 1 million South Sudanese pounds.

The law also provides for the establishment of a national cybercrime department within the Ministry of Justice and Constitutional Affairs. The unit was previously under the National Communication Authority.

Despite government assurances, civil society groups and rights advocates raised concerns when the bill was passed in November, warning it could be used to restrict freedom of expression.

Information Minister Ateny Wek Ateny said the act would strengthen the detection, prevention, investigation and prosecution of computer-related crimes.

Suspected carbon-monoxide leak kills 37 miners in Nigeria

ABUJA, Nigeria 

At least 37 miners have died in a suspected carbon-monoxide leak at a lead and zinc mine in central Nigeria's Plateau state, witnesses have told our Correspondent.

The tragedy is believed to have happened just before sunrise at a site outside the town of Wase run by the mining company Solid Unity Nigeria Ltd.

Toxic gas is believed to have built up underground in poorly ventilated tunnels, causing the workers to collapse just before the end of their night shift.

They were discovered by those reporting to work in the morning - more than 20 other miners were rescued and rushed to hospital for treatment.

Security personnel have sealed off the mine, which is about 200km (124 miles) south-east of the state capital of Jos, as investigations get under way to find out the cause of the leak.

State officials are yet to visit the area and response efforts have reportedly been slow because of security concerns - armed criminal gangs, known locally as "bandits", have been active there in recent years.

Safiyanu Haruna, one of the miners who found the bodies at the start of his shift, told the reporter that some of the miners who were underground survived and were taken to a hospital in Wase for treatment.

According to Haruna, the incident occurred at around 06:30 local time (05:30 GMT).

He said the miners had just finished performing their early morning Muslim prayers and had returned underground to finish their shift.

"It was carbon-monoxide gas that leaked and killed them," he said.

"There was no rescue for them at the time because those who were coming for the morning shift had yet to arrive," he added.

The victims, believed to be men aged between 20 and 40, were buried shortly afterwards in accordance with local tradition. 

The news has devastated the mainly Muslim community.

Mining disasters occur relatively frequently in Nigeria.

Less than two years ago, dozens of gold miners died after being trapped underground when a pit collapsed in neighbouring Niger state.

Officials believe that incident was caused by torrential rains which had softened the soil.

The tragedy is likely to renew concerns over safety standards in Nigeria's mining sector.

Tuesday, February 17, 2026

EAST AFRICA NEWSPAPERS 18/02/2026

 




















Family of Zambia's ex-President Lungu dismiss poisoning allegation - lawyers

By Khanyisile Ngcobo, JOHANNESBURG South Africa 

The family of ex-Zambian President Edgar Lungu, who died in South Africa last June and is yet to be buried, have dismissed allegations he was poisoned.

South African police also want custody of his body as part of their investigations, according to the late politician's family.

In a letter to the police, seen the reporter, their lawyers say the family are co-operating with "criminal proceedings", but maintain the allegations are "unfounded and unsupported by credible evidence".

It is the latest twist over the fate of Lungu's body, which remains in a morgue in South Africa and has been subject to an ongoing legal battle between his family and Zambia's government over where he should be buried.

South Africa's police service has refused to comment on the letter sent by the Johannesburg law firm Mashele Attorneys, which is representing the Lungu family.

Police spokesperson Brig Athlenda Mathe  said: "This is a very sensitive matter that cannot be discussed at this stage."

Lungu died of an undisclosed illness aged 68 at a clinic in South Africa's capital, Pretoria. He had led Zambia from 2015 until 2021, when he lost elections by a huge margin to current President Hakainde Hichilema.

The Zambian government wants Lungu's remains to be repatriated and given a state funeral, with full state honours - and a South African court ruled in its favour in August.

But Lungu's family want a private burial in South Africa as they say the former president had not wanted Hichilema to attend his funeral. The relationship between the two politicians had long been fraught.

In the letter to the South African police, dated 11 February 2026, Mashele Attorneys confirmed that on behalf of the Lungu family it had "complied with the five subpoenas issued" in relation to a criminal probe looking into allegations that the former Zambian president was poisoned.

"For the avoidance of doubt, it is our clients' instruction that the allegations underlying the criminal case are denied," the letter said.

Neo Mashele, from Mashele Attorneys, said the investigation by police appeared to be based on a "public utterance" about a poisoning allegation made by one of Lungu's daughters that was "absolutely not true".

In its letter, Mashele Attorneys also raised concern over another subpoena it said had been issued by police to the funeral home looking after Lungu's body.

It said there were two High Court orders that directed that "possession and custody of the body remain with Two Mountains Funeral Services pending the finalisation of the legal proceedings".

"Those orders are binding and operative," the letter said.

An official from the morgue where the remains are being stored told the BBC that Lungu's body was "under tight security [and] surveillance 24/7".

Mrs Lungu has remained in South Africa since the death of her husband and is leading legal efforts to have him buried in South Africa.

Last week she filed a notice at the Supreme Court of Appeal in Bloemfontein to overturn the earlier ruling that her husband's body be sent back home.

Sunday, February 15, 2026

China to scrap tariffs for most of Africa except Eswatini, says Xi Jinping

BEIJING, China 

It's another hurdle lowered for more Chinese-African trade: Beijing announced on Saturday that it would scrap tariffs for imports from 53 African countries. 

Eswatini is the only one not on the list as it maintains diplomatic relations with Taiwan, whose sovereignty China challenges.

From 1 May onwards, China will impose no tariffs on imports from 53 African countries.

This was announced by Chinese leader Xi Jinping on Saturday, according to reports from Chinese state media.

It's an important step to further increase trade between Beijing and the continent.

China-Africa trade reached $222 billion in early 2025 and could increase once the tariffs are scrapped. 

Beijing in fact already had a zero-tariff policy for 33 African countries, but now expands this previous policy to the entire continent with the exception of Eswatini.

This is because Eswatini maintains diplomatic relations with the island Taiwan, whose sovereignty China challenges and which it has threatened with the use of force.

The new trade policy also comes at a time when African countries are increasingly steering away from the US, which imposed steep tariffs on many of them.

CAF Champions League: Teams that have qualified for quarter-finals

CAIRO, Egypt 

Eight clubs have confirmed their places in the quarter-finals of the 2025–26 TotalEnergies CAF Champions League, following the conclusion of of the group-stage on Sunday.

With each group consisting of four teams playing six matches, the top two advance to the knockout stage.

As the group phase ended on Sunday night, several continental heavyweights secured their places in the last eight with Stade Malien making it to the knock stage for the first time in theire history.

Group A: Pyramids dominate, Berkane through

Defending champions Pyramids FC topped Group A in commanding fashion, finishing with 16 points from six matches after five wins and one draw. The Egyptian side scored 14 goals and conceded just twice, underlining their status as one of the tournament favourites.

Morocco’s Renaissance Berkane secured second place with 10 points, edging ahead of Zambia’s Power Dynamos. Rivers United of Nigeria finished bottom of the group with just one point.

Group B: Al Ahly lead as Royal Army and Young Africans wait

Egyptian giants Al Ahly lead Group B with ten points from six matches, remaining unbeaten with two wins and four draws. The Cairo club have once again shown resilience in tight contests, conceding just three goals so far.

Morocco’s FAR Rabat (Royal Army) sit second on nine points, narrowly ahead of Young Africans of Tanzania. 

Group C: Al Hilal and Sundowns advance

Sudan’s Al Hilal Omdurman confirmed top spot in Group C with 11 points after a crucial victory in their final match. The Sudanese giants have impressed with their organisation and efficiency, scoring nine goals and conceding seven.

South Africa’s Mamelodi Sundowns finished second with nine points, edging out MC Alger. Sundowns secured qualification after a decisive win in the final round, ensuring two Southern African representatives remain in contention.

Group D: Stade Malien surprise, Esperance secure passage

Mali’s Stade Malien emerged as group winners in Group D with 11 points, conceding just twice across six matches. Their disciplined defensive displays proved decisive in a tightly contested group.

Tunisia’s Esperance Sportive de Tunis claimed the second qualification slot with nine points, ahead of Petro AtlĂ©tico of Angola and Simba of Tanzania.

With the groups concluded, all the eight teams to play in the last eight of Africa's flagship club competition.

The quarter-final draw will determine the knockout pairings as Africa’s elite clubs turn their focus to the decisive stages of the competition.

Qualified Teams (Confirmed)

  • Pyramids FC (Egypt) – Group A winners

  • Renaissance Berkane (Morocco) – Group A runners-up

  • Al Ahly (Egypt) – Group B winners

  • FAR Rabat (Morocco) – Group B runners-up
  • Al Hilal Omdurman (Sudan) – Group C winners

  • Mamelodi Sundowns (South Africa) – Group C runners-up

  • Stade Malien (Mali) – Group D winners

  • Esperance Sportive de Tunis (Tunisia) – Group D runners-up

EAST AFRICA NEWSPAPERS 16/02/2026